Monday, September 17, 2018

The Last Jedi

I love the old Star Wars movies. They were the ones I grew up with and the ones that helped form my view of good and evil. And, like most of the original trilogy fans, I was furious with the prequels. They sullied my childhood by making other children's childhood better... yeah, I even knew it at the time, but man, those were not fun for me. However, I was a fantastic aunt and bought them on dvd so my niece and nephews could torture me by watching and rewatching those things and preferring them to the ones that I wanted to watch. What can I say? May sister's kids are evil.

So, with that history, I will tell you, I LOVE the new Star Wars movies. They're fantastic. And, one of the things that makes it fantastic is the inclusion of women. Who knew there were women in space? They still aren't seen in as many roles as men, but they're in leading and important roles, and that's fantastic. Yeah, yeah, "representations matters." It does, it really does. I had all the star wars characters and the ships and the accessories. You know how many girls there were? Two. Princess Leia and the green chic from the canteen.

I'm so excited that kids (and maybe I) will have the chance to really see themselves in some kick ass Jedi roles.

And, it makes the dudes better, too. Check out the way men grow through strong women (pretty cool analysis):

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I was born and reared in Austin, Texas, where I attended three elementary schools, three middle schools, one high school, and one university. I've backpacked through Europe, gone on an archeological dig in the Belizean rainforest, scuba dived through the Atlantic reefs, and skydived over San Marcos. And, while hang-gliding turned out not to be for me, I did give it a shot.