Thursday, October 11, 2018

Sense Memories and Wax Icons

When I was a kid we used to go to the San Antonio zoo every year. It was one of my favorite trips, not just because of the animals (which were fantastic), but because we always got a souvenir.
There are there machines called "Mold-A-Rama"s that make was casts of different animals at the zoo. I don't even know if the machines are still there, but when I was a kid, getting one of those things was one of the highlights of the trip. I would watch the machines making my animal, then it would fall down into a pocket where I would pick it up. The smell was fantastic, hot wax. It may sound weird, but that hot wax smell was magic, especially when holding a still cooling giraffe or elephant in my happy little hands. It had a slightly more oily small than  candle wax, maybe like cooking oil. And, it would fade so slowly that I almost couldn't notice until there were only faint whiffs of it every now and again.
It was like a scavenger hunt, trying to find every machine and collect each animal mold, especially since I could only get one per trip.
Sometimes, on the long ride home, I'd press my face up to my magic wax animal to make the zoo last just a little longer.


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I was born and reared in Austin, Texas, where I attended three elementary schools, three middle schools, one high school, and one university. I've backpacked through Europe, gone on an archeological dig in the Belizean rainforest, scuba dived through the Atlantic reefs, and skydived over San Marcos. And, while hang-gliding turned out not to be for me, I did give it a shot.